Brookside Big Local

 

Minutes for Meeting held Monday 13th July 2015 at 20:00 until 22:00 at Brookside Central

 

Present: Steve Thayne, Sarah Durnall, Helen Fairweather, Fiona Moore and Nicola Anderson.

 

Apologies: Tina Rogers, John Edwards, Stuart Parr, Rob Bennett, John Maguire, Arnold England, Gillian Bailey, Elaine Vinters, Angie Wilson and David Ottely.

 

Minutes from the meeting held on 15th June were approved following this listed ammendment;

     Community Forums are for residents only.

 

As Tina was poorly and Steve acted as Chairperson for the meeting. All decisions have been made provisionally and will take affect should no objections are made by Monday 20th July.

 

The 15th July “To Do List” was discussed. Talking to residents around the centre was beneficial and should be done on a regular basis, going to the park at key times would also be good to spread the word of BBL's aims and to intice more volunteers. The meeting with Leigh Ricketts was discussed and attached is a sample of questions which can be expanded, discussed.

 

Local Trust – All formal letters have been sent out. Zoe has sent the schedule of payments which are in 4 equal amounts. This has to be discussed. It was discussed to change the quarterly meetings to twice yearly. To discuss what has went well, any changes in requirements etc. There may be adjustments needed on the agreement with SBPC and BBL due to payment schedule.

 

Stirchley and Brookside Parish Council (SBPC) -  clarification is addressed with actions on the “To do List”.

 

Pride in the Community – Spinal Path – Letter concerning what work has been done, what is currently happening was delivered to the appropriate addresses last week. W/C 20th July, team of council workers and BBL volunteers will be door knocking (10:00 in the morning and 17:30 in the evening), more volunteers needed, Sarah is co-ordinating this.

 

BBL Health and Wellbeing – Steve met with Deb Derham and discussed piloted projects; Young people age 13 – 25 who self harm, offering support to families, this project is co-ordinated by Becca Blount and Steve. This is working well.

 

Mental health, physical health are helping residents in the community through, for example, volunteering at the cafe has given a boost in confidence to some residents and also had a great impact on our community.

 

Elaine has worked hard for the hearing impaired residents, she is learning to teach sign language, raising awareness and is passionate about progressing this to enable a template to be used for all and perhaps create new social enterprises. This is to be discussed at the next sub group meeting where concrete decisions are made and funding discussed.

 

It was brought up that the Health and Wellbeing sub group could commission outside help for training etc.

 

Skills and Audit Evaluation – A sheet was handed out summarising where our strengths are etc. It was universally agreed that our biggest problem is time. With more Community Forums, more talking with residents will lead to more involvement freeing up people's time. Moving on efficiently will require training, either in-house and sourcing outside trainers to train at Brookside Central, key area's identified were: Business Management, Health and Safety, Business Planning and Financial Monitoring. Training should be focused on our needs and a costing exercise should be performed.

 

There is a Local Networking event in September on a Saturday, Helen suggested that BBL have a presence there.

 

Community Chest – First three: Brookside Friendly Club, Brookside Events Group and Elaine Vinters have been provisionally approved. Nikki Lane's has been rejected due to her budget plan, however it was provisionally agreed that £100 to be paid for her time and materials for the Arts Event on 8th of August and Training (see above). It was discussed to pay Grant the muscian, though the budget has to be looked at. John Trubshaw should receive payment for a printer that he bought; £75, and additional funding for his consumables as well. Unsuccessful – Family & Cohesion Services as £500 won't cover the cost of the pool table.

 

BBL Community Plan – To be discussed when more member are in attendance.

 

Proposed Date for next BBL Meeting – 17th August, 20:00 until 21:30ish at Brookside Central.

 

Other Business – Physical regeneration complete, now working towards social regeneration. TWC recognise BBL as a partner in Brookside's social regeneration and will include BBL as much as possible.

 

Press release 14th July (10:30) at Windmill Primary, Shropshire Radio will be talking to the council and two pupils, BBL invited and Nicola will attend.

 

Helen brought up that Arnold had discussed the BBL quarterly meetings. These could be reduced to twice yearly to celebrate all the good work, discuss the challenges, any issues to be addressed etc.

 

Community Filter Forums – Friday 30th October, 09:30 until 11:30 should be open for wider participation – social enterprises, BBL member, training etc.

 

Bonfire event needs to be organised. See “To do List”.

 

Video – A corporate communication video is being discussed about interviewing people who work in their community, how it has helped them and others. BBL are invited to be part of this initiative. Fiona and Sarah are co-ordinating this at Brookside Central. This will also help with the annual review for the Local Trust.

 

New resident – Barbara, a Ghanian lady in our community would like to get involved, and it's suggested that she come to the next BBL meeting on the 17th August. She'd like to participate in the Arts Event on the 8th August. This has been agreed in principle.

 

Arts Event – 8th August 2015 – John Trubshaw is going to video the event. We will need volunteers to take notes of the discussions that will occur at the sit down feast. This is a great opportunity in bringing people together to discuss what people want or need for their community.

 

 

 

********URGENT**********  TO DO LIST

 

     Tina and Gillian to discuss the payment schedule as soon as possible.

     Helen to talk to Gillian with regards to her concerns.

 

TO DO LIST

 

 

     Emails from the above discussions to be distributed accordingly.

     Spinal Path – More Volunteers needed for 20/07/15 door knocking, showing residents questionnaire/bulb options. Two blocks of time for volunteers: 10:00 and 17:30 – volunteer with a council member.

     Spinal Path – Wider/Expanded Plan of Works to be discussed.

     Health and Wellbeing – Steve to talk to Maggie Hunt at TACT.

     Look at training in Brookside Central and training that will help BBL achieve it's long term goals. Identify focused training.

     Community Chest – Sarah to talk to Nikki Lane.

     Community Chest – After Monday, 20th July Nicola will email successful applicants, Fiona to assist.

     Community Chest to be added to next Agenda.

     Other Business – Meeting to discuss Bonfire – location, legalities, contractors etc – Tina with Nicola assisting.

     Video – Steve to post on Facebook an invitation for volunteers to be on video talking about their work in the community.

     New resident – Barbara – Steve to email BBL guidelines to her.

     Barbara – Will need one off liability insurance for the Arts event and in future be added to Brookside Event Groups insurance.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

PrintEmail

Brookside Map